There are many classic cakes (such as a Victoria sponge or lemon drizzle) but we think that nothing can beat a delicious coffee and walnut cake. While many recipes use instant coffee, we think that using high-quality beans gives the cake a delicious depth of flavour.
Coffee and Walnut Cake Ingredients:
- 250g softened butter
- 100ml black coffee, cooled
- 280g self-raising flour
- 250g caster sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 85g walnuts, 2 tbsp roughly chopped, the rest finely chopped
- 100g icing sugar
- 150ml double cream
- 100g mascarpone, room temp
- Heat your oven to 180C. Butter 2 x 20cm round cake tins and line with baking parchment. Set aside 1 tbsp of the coffee for the filling.
- Beat the butter, flour, sugar, baking powder, eggs, vanilla and half the remaining coffee in a large bowl until lump-free.
- Fold in the finely chopped walnuts, then divide between the tins and roughly spread. Scatter the roughly chopped walnuts over one of the cakes.
- Bake the cakes for 25-30 mins until golden and risen, and a skewer poked in comes out clean. Drizzle the plain cake with the remaining coffee. Cool the cakes in the tins.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: beat together the icing sugar, cream and mascarpone, then fold in the reserved 2 tbsp coffee. Spread over the plain cake, then place the walnut-topped cake on top.
- Finally, dust the coffee and walnut cake with a little icing sugar.
Our famous coffee and walnut cake has gone down a treat with many of our customers. Why don’t you try it out and let us know how you get on with it. If you make this recipe, share it with us on Twitter or Instagram using #balancecoffeerecipes.
Enjoy this article? Sign up to our Balance Coffee Club newsletter below for monthly recipes, tips and hacks that’ll improve your coffee game!